Kevin Spacey ‘strenuously denies’ sexually assaulting three men

Hollywood star Kevin Spacey ‘strenuously denies’ that he sexually assaulted three men over an eight-year period during visits to Britain, a court has heard.

The Oscar-winning actor, 62, smiled as he exited a silver Mercedes and was ushered into Westminster Magistrates’ Court by police and his legal team amid a media scrum.

Spacey, who was wearing glasses and dressed smartly in a blue suit, teal suede brogues and a dark patterned tie, made no comment outside the courthouse as he was rushed past a queue of other court attendees and through the entrance before passing security.

As he sat in the dock, Spacey looked around, inspecting his surroundings, and spoke only to confirm his name and date of birth. He was granted unconditional bail ahead of his preliminary hearing and did not enter pleas. He will appear at Southwark Crown Court on July 14.

The American actor, who starred in House of Cards, American Beauty and The Usual Suspects, is accused of a string of sex attacks on three men in London and Gloucestershire between 2005 and 2013 while he was artistic director of the Old Vic theatre.

Patrick Gibbs, QC, defending, said: ‘Mr Spacey strenuously denies any and all criminality in this case. He has answered each of these allegations in interview more than three years ago in 2019 in the USA and now he has returned voluntarily in the UK and will continue to do so in order to establish his innocence.’

The court heard Spacey went through four days of interviewing in New York and promised that if he was charged he would come to the UK to answer them.

‘Having seen the full Crown’s case, pages and pages of statements and exhibits delivered to him…he has chosen, not on bail, to come to this court today and my submission is that you can have every confidence, and the judge at Southwark can have every confidence, that he will continue to attend,’ Mr Gibbs continued.

‘He needs to answer these charges if he is to proceed with his life.’

Actor Kevin Spacey was greeted by a media scrum as he arrived at Westminster Magistrates’ Court today

Spacey was ushered past a crowd of photographers by police officers at Westminster Magistrates' Court today

Spacey was ushered past a crowd of photographers by police officers at Westminster Magistrates’ Court today

The Oscar-winning actor, pictured in the middle, was mobbed by hordes of photographers

The Oscar-winning actor, pictured in the middle, was mobbed by hordes of photographers

Kevin Spacey arriving at Westminster Magistrates' Court in London today

Kevin Spacey arriving at Westminster Magistrates’ Court in London today

Spacey was guided through the crowd by police outside Westminster Magistrates' Court today

Spacey was guided through the crowd by police outside Westminster Magistrates’ Court today

Deputy Chief Magistrate Ikram granted Spacey unconditional bail ahead of his plea and trial preparation hearing at Southwark Crown Court on 14 July.

He said: ‘I am going to send your case to the crown court sitting at Southwark. I am going to grant you unconditional bail. Every defendant has a right to unconditional bail unless the court is of the view that there is a real risk.

‘You have cooperated, I am told, and this has not been at all challenged by the Crown, with the authorities both in New York and you voluntarily attended these proceedings here today. Indeed I withdrew the warrant which was issued for your arrest because it was not necessary. I am not persuaded that there is a real risk, bearing in mind all that I have heard about you, that you would fail to surrender.’

Spacey nodded and walked slowly out of the dock when he was told that he was free to leave.

The actor had been interviewed under caution by Scotland Yard in 2019 after the force launched an investigation into the claims two years earlier.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) authorized charges against him last month, but American Spacey could only be formally charged after traveling to the UK earlier this week.

The charges are: two counts of sexual assault on a man, who is now in his 40s, in March 2005 in London; sexual assault on a man, who is now in his 30s, and causing him to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent, in August 2008 in London; sexual assault on a man, who is now in his 30s, in April 2013 in Gloucestershire.

Spacey, a two-time Oscar winner who is known for starring roles in American Beauty and The Usual Suspects, previously said he would travel to the UK to face the charges, which he is expected to deny.

In a statement released to Good Morning America after the CPS announcement, he said: ‘While I am disappointed with their decision to move forward, I will voluntarily appear in the UK as soon as can be arranged and defend myself against these charges, which I am confident will prove my innocence.’

Spacey navigated the big crowd of journalists outside Westminster Magistrates' Court today

Spacey navigated the big crowd of journalists outside Westminster Magistrates’ Court today

Spacey pictured arriving at Westminster Magistrates' Court in London today

Spacey pictured arriving at Westminster Magistrates’ Court in London today

Spacey was surrounded by his legal team and police officers as he walked past hordes of photographers gathered outside Westminster Magistrates' Court today

Spacey was surrounded by his legal team and police officers as he walked past hordes of photographers gathered outside Westminster Magistrates’ Court today

Photographers circled Spacey as he arrived at Westminster Magistrates' Court today

Photographers circled Spacey as he arrived at Westminster Magistrates’ Court today

Spacey pictured on a red carpet in LA.  The actor is facing charges of sexual assault in London.  He denies the allegations and has vowed to defend himself

Spacey pictured on a red carpet in LA. The actor is facing charges of sexual assault in London. He denies the allegations and has vowed to defend himself

The alleged attacks are said to have taken place while Spacey was artistic director at the Old Vic between 2004 and 2015.

The first two charges of sexual assault allege that on March 20, 2005 ‘within the jurisdiction of The Central Criminal Court he intentionally touched a man aged 16 or over and that touching was sexual when he did not consent and you did not reasonably believe that he was consent’.

The third sexual assault charge alleges that between August 1, 2008 and August 31, 2008 ‘within the jurisdiction of The Central Criminal Court he intentionally touched a man aged 16 or over and that touching was sexual when he did not consent and you did not reasonably believe that he was consenting’.

The fourth charge against Spacey, of causing a male 13 or over to engage in penetrative sexual activity alleges that between August 1, 2008 and August 31, 2008 ‘within the jurisdiction of The Central Criminal Court with intent caused a man aged 16 or over to engage in sexual activity involving the penetration of his mouth with a person’s penis when he did not consent and you did not reasonably believe that he was consenting’.

The fifth charge of sexual assault on a male on April 1, 2013 ‘within the jurisdiction of The Central Criminal Court intentionally touched a man aged 16 or over and that touching was sexual when he did not consent and you did not reasonably believe that he was consent’.

.

Leave a Comment